Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jeff Jarvis is NUTTS!!

Hey Guys, (the title is not personal...I am sure he is a nice guy)

So I just got done listening to Jeff Jarvis author of "What Would Google do?" a new york times best seller. He skyped into the Theology After Google conference on March 11th.

He was saying something interesting but then again it was almost impractical.

He believe that all a person information should be put online. He says that the more publicly we operate the better off we will be.

Problems:

Cultural responses to openness vary
Being open is subjective
The truth is everyone does not want to know everything about you
Being open sometimes cost you everything
Dealing with judgement of others


He also said by being online and not being open you don't exist

I simply disagree. People recreate themselves online. This is problematic also but you do exist. In fact you exist in ways that are difficult to validate. What about the people who use the Internet as a fantasy land Jeff? What does google say about them?

I love the theory or a Utopian openness online but it is not practical.

Other cultural implications

Ex: My mother brought me up making it very clear that there are some things that don't need to be known. Don't go in your mothers room, don't go in your mothers stuff, don't ask your mother certain things because you are too young to understand or it is none of your business

What about the influences the contextual information has on young people who see it Jeff? Will we empower our society to be exposed to information too early?


The lecture was great but these things are problematic

2 comments:

  1. i was hoping you were going to ask him if Obama thought having his pastor on YouTube was still a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...i knew I was missing. I wish I would have gone to the camera as spoken with him because I am really concerned about how Google is relevant or irrelevant to certain people.

    I wish we could have a conversation about how Google benefits the "least of these"

    ReplyDelete