Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Can Young Pastors survive Tradition?

So, Chad and Professor Clayton have partially articulated a piece of their understanding concerning seminaries and how they prepare or don't prepare students. They have then addressed the very sensitive topic about those who are selected to pastor and tend to the suffering churches all over the land

Please read their posts here about 1/3 of the way down

Now I have something to say about this because I am a seminary student (Claremont School of Theology) and a member of the AME (African Methodist Epsiscopal) Church. I have some opinions about both of the topics mentioned above.

Professor Clayton,

I certainly agree with the fact that young pastor are not place in ideal circumstances when they are finally allowed to pastor churches. It is true that most church, especially irrelevant churches, have a constituency of people who are used to the traditional style of church. They are less likely to know about on coming technologies. I don't believe however that this means that a persons idealism has to be put away. I do not have all the answers to the challenge that you mentioned. As a young minister, I can empathize with the difficulty of preaching and teaching old audiences. I can empathize with the reality of trying to introduce new things. This is difficult. But one of the things I can say is that there is hope.

Seminary has hopefully taught students to think critically and study. There has to be a point where the ministry consults the art of study. The person has to begin to seek insight through psychology and studies about the culture of change. How do you merge into a context instead of bursting into the context? How do you respect your elders and allow them to understand your perspective without emptying the church? How do you use language that is familiar to communicate accurately? These are huge challenges and like I said I don't have the answers but if seminary is teaching me anything, it is the art of thinking critically which should prove to be universally advantages.

Chad:

Oh boy, you hit an interesting spot in my consciousness. I disagree with the fact that the denominations are not to blame. I think denominations have the ability to be super traditional. You can't blame the seminaries because the seminaries have a certain purpose. The provide students with the ability to think about the religiousity of theology. They don't equip people with the skills to deal with people. Denominations have to do a better job at discerning the people they place into position of power. If the churches reputation was not so challenges and preacers/people (all christians) were a little more responsible there would probably be an abundance of people to choose from which would likely produce better fits for more traditional churches. Unfortunately this is not the case.

My other challenge with your statement is that denominations keep getting let off the hook. The denominations have to figure out a way to reach out to these seminaries. Why aren't more denominations trying to partner with seminaries to offer theological and practical forms of ministry. The reason why most students are inequipped is because those (denominations) who have the practical experiences (they are the majority) are irresponsibly rejecting opportunity to send experience into the classroom that theory might be introduced to praxis. I am talking about for all denominations (even non-denominational which is also a denomination).

It is time for people to stop pointing fingers anyway because it does not yield results.

And concerning your opinions about managers and leaders. I have recently been reading leadership books and have become familiar with the distinctione between the two. I don't know that most churches have either or. I think churches are struggling to understand which technique are appropriate at which time for which situation. Praxis is difficult and I think that has yet to be mentioned in the conversation. Church is not easy. Look at Jesus. Ask the text if Church is easy. Look at the message of Christ. If it was easy everyone would have it and everyone would understand it. Everyone does not understand it.

The Praxis of pastoral ministry is a lost are and underrated. We must respect the craft and understand the task. Dealing with people, especially in the area of spirituality, is a world of its own. I guess I am trying to say you have to be well rounded (both manager and leader) to survive.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, amen -- there is hope! That's what gets me out of bed in the morning ... and blogging like this...

    Philip Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must speak briefly on this...as a person who does not have the formal education, no masters degree, possibly seminary if the Lord makes a way.
    Question can God qualify a person like me to Pastorship within the denominational boundries of the AME church or has God designated that anyone in this denomination (or others) cannot qualify because of the rules decided upon by the intellectually righteous leadership of said denominations?

    ReplyDelete