Question: Who is the Real Jesus! Who is Jesus to you? What does he do? What doesn't he do?
Lets face it, the Bible means different things to different people! As a consequence Jesus means different things to different people! This is a known fact.
By what standard to we accept these different meanings as valid? I am frankly saturated with the various views on Jesus, God, and all this other theological theory. How can a new believer know what to believe with all of this variety.
Brian McLaren (brief biography)in his new book A New Kind of Christianity address the different ideas of Jesus through the hilarious and ridiculous comedy "Talladega Nights."
He makes these points
- People are still tempted to define Jesus the way they want Jesus to be
- Old opinion and view will produce Old interpretations and Old applications
- The interpretation of Jesus found in the Book of Revelation (19:11-16) was appropriate for the time that the author was writing. It was also appropriate for the context and challenges of that day
- Jesus in the book of Revelation is the same as Jesus in the Gospels
- Jesus has not adapted to methods of peacemaking that were used by the Greco Roman rulers and government. In other words, Jesus still plans to use peace to bring peace
As a result Mc Laren concludes this:
- All interpretations of Jesus are NOT CORRECT! IN FACT SOME OF THEM ARE UNACCEPTABLE!
- Jesus coming back to KILL IS INACCURATE! (see revelation 19)
- Jesus is strong even though he will not use violence as a means of salvation
The question still remains....Who is the Real Jesus! Who is Jesus to you?